Thursday, September 4, 2008

Охуеть! Я в Москве!

So the flight(s) that lasted about 27 hours were a gray blur, I watched some episodes of the Office and I learned how to say safety belt in Russian. When I got through customs, which was fine, and emerged into the main hall of Domodedyevo airport, I immediately realized so far everything had gone swimmingly, and that this was Russia. Sure enough, my friend Sarah Jones was not among the sea of people, most of whom were surprisingly not Russian, but from Central Asia by the looks of them. After telling 20 people that I didn't want a taxi ride, I calmed down and thought about what I was going to do. I was waiting in line at a cellphone kiosk, rehearsing this line: "I am not a customer of any Russian telephone companies. I need only 20 minutes access internet." But then, thank God, Sarah tapped on my shoulder.

Then we rode a little bus for half an hour to the nearest Metro stop. If you didn't know, the Moscow metro is one of the biggest in the world, and it was built from the thirties by Communist volunteers and in the fifties by German prisoners of war/slaves. All the platforms are a nice mix of Art deco with lots of hammer and sickles/busts of proletarian men/flowers. Its actually very nice, but imposing, and I don't think that they'll get rid of the communist kitsch anytime soon.

We took the Metro to the end of the line, and then took a little train to the suburb where Sarah lived. Her apartment was a little Soviet-style, but cozy enough. There's a lot of little changes: the toilet was in a tiny room next to the bathroom, the stove said "USSR" on it, there were strange books on the wall, I can't really describe it. It really seemed like it was out of the 1980's. Well, there was a poster adverstising Czech sporting life from 1982 in the bathroom.

Now I'm at the hotel with the other kids on the Middlebury program. It is going to be a long nine months. I will survive, though. Pretty sure.

No prizes this week- Moscow is too expensive.

David

8 comments:

mothra and ezza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

D parker!

alex and g told me about your bloggo, splendiforous!

have a marvie time in russia, i must say you have a great writing style, alex and i were saying how we could imagine you saying things.

besos!

aylie

Amy Gibson said...

dear david parker,
i'm rather sleepy right now, and while reading about your new life, i kind of daydreamed up this story (which is something i have been doing lately) that maybe instead of studying russian, you were actually being tricked into a mail order husband sort of thing. this is most likely not true, but i'd be careful about the intentions of the pediatrician, at least for the first few weeks. i think you are safe, but it sure would be tricky, huh?
if this is what happens, maybe code word me something like 'dragonfruit' (this is the code word) and i'll come rescue you and return you to your family and your brother will be very happy with me. welcome to the time zone. i am glad you are safe!
amy g

Stefa said...

Congratulations on your successful arrival! How is it that you didn't arrive in Sheremetevo airport? I thought Domedova was only for domestic flights and Sheremetevo for international flights?

Dan Langfitt said...

I look forward to reading about your Irkutsk adventures. I promise, it won't be that bad... there's a pretty good survival rate, anyway :)

A) It didn't occur to me how stupid (geographically speaking) it must be for you to go from Alaska to Moscow and then to Irkutsk. Did you really go all the way around the world (as in through Europe?) or did you figure out a way to connect through Pekin or Seoul?

B) I'm jealous that you got to fly into Domodedova. SOOO much better than Sheremetyevo (as I was reminded two days ago when I connected through there from Mongolia).

C) Good luck and say hi to Baikal for me!

Unknown said...

Commie kitsch?! This is better than I imagined. While the US was mired in legwarmers and synthesizer music, Russia was all about progress! Red Progress! Xapawho!

Todd said...

hola, david. i am also in another country besides america and it feels great. at the moment, actually, it feels sleepy and a little stomach-achey from a mystery-meat empanada i picked up in the largest flea market in western europe. are you feeling at all russian yet? last night i urged on the spanish football team as it played bosnia and drank spanish beer with (meaning in the same space, no arms were draped over my shoulders) locals. these circumstances conspired to make me feel a little spanish.

check out this study and have a good day:
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSL566749920080905.

Sophie said...

Well, I'm glad you're not dead. Are you going to get an absentee ballot to vote?

Are you still vegetarian? Be sure to post about any weird vegetarian food you eat!