Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Current temperature: -9 F. Feels like: -31 F.

Nothing exotic happened since I went to Mongolia. I wrote 5 posts in Sleptember and only 2 in November, and they described events that mostly took place in October. What does this mean? I guess things aren’t as noteworthy anymore, I have started forgetting that I am in another country from time to time, which doesn’t mean that I feel comfortable here, it just means that my brain thinks that I’ve always been a foreigner, or at least for a lot longer than 3 months. So its gotten used to not being used to the surrounding environment. Maybe. I don’t know.
So in case you were wondering about my November, here are some (the) highlights:
*Helping my host grandma take apart a sofa chair to save the rubber belts that held up the cushion at her dacha in the countryside, then chasing after a garbage truck through five-inch thick mud in rubber boots because he only comes once every two weeks. (it was a lot more dramatic, you really had to be there guys)
*Watching the new James Bond film, surprisingly well dubbed into Russian, but in the end deciding that it would still be pretty unsatisfying even in English. I think I honestly enjoyed the new Kylie Minogue song that they played over the speakers before the movie than the film, which isn’t to say that it wasn’t a fun movie, its just that that Kylie Minogue song is great. I think its called “In My Arms”
*Getting a hair cut from what I think is the first or second gay man I have seen in Irkutsk.
*Watching 2 basketball games at the stadium “Labor”. The local team is the Irkutsk Irkut (a pretty stupid name, if you ask me,) and although the level of play is about at an american high school, the crowd is a lot less animated and men don’t really clap that much. Which is a problem, because I can’t make that “woooo” sound, so I have to clap to show my support. We won the first game and lost the second against Saransk. Also sort of depressing: the little middleschoolers who break dance during the timeouts while the crowd watches, bewildered and not feeling anything. Basketball may one day become big in Irkutsk, but break dancing—not so much.
* Visiting the nearby town of Listvyanka on lake Baikal when the temperature was -6 (f) with a very strong wind blowing. It wasn’t that cold because I got to wear my new mink hat with the ear flaps down. We went to the little museum and in a little tank they had two nerpa seals! They are freshwater seals that look like lumps of fat, and they are adorable. I think everyone’s sentiment was expressed in the exclamation of a little girl, who said “Ookh ti! Nerpochki!”, which translates to “oh jeez! Nerpa sealies!”
The only problem with Listvyanka in the winter is that there wasn’t anything to do for the five hours between check out time and bus leaving time. I mean, nothing. Also, the five of us ate in an empty restaurant that somehow managed to far exceed my expectations of bad service: it was icier than the wind along the shore of lake Baikal! Hahaha!
*Buying a small tv for my room, sort of against my will, and not understanding that the word “passport” can also refer to a manual, and, following the wishes of my grandma, almost asking the cashier at the electronics store to stamp my U.S. passport. But I didn’t, because something deep down told me that even in Russia, Best Buy-like stores shouldn’t stamp official government documents.
*Watching a hockey match: In line for tickets, I heard about 400% more swearing than normal, and I knew that this wasn’t a great sign. I saw some little 12 year olds and women, but for the most part everybody was a man. A Man, with a capital “M”. So we bought our tickets and were surprised to see the stadium had tons of blank spots. But as we quickly found out, the most outstanding member of each group shows up early and claims a whole row, and we weaved among many rows, trying to guess whether that man with the big club flag was saving two rows or just two. We finally sat pretty far to the side, and I felt a little uncomfortable, because there were about 200 police officers with little world-war-2 style helmets and riot batons standing around the rink. But they had sweet uniforms on—not their normal camo jackets, but sort of beige great coats and wool boots, so they looked just like Ivans from Stalingrad, or something. So it was fun to look at them, but not really, because they glared at everybody who walked by them. At least they were there, though. So before the game started the rows around us filled in a little, and the people behind us started talking about their preparations to the match. One of the questions was, “did you bring the drugs?” “Yes.” Which I thought was weird. Although I think they were joking about alcohol. I mean, the rink is outside, it was pretty warm that day but it was still a lot of sitting in the dark in winter. I got a good lesson in Russian swearing, and the game was actually very beautiful, actually. They play hockey with a little orange ball instead of a puck, and our team, Baikal-Energiya scored two goals in the first seven minutes.
It might seem like “Baikal Energy” is a bad name for a team, but the visiting team from Novosibirsk was called “SibSel’Mash.” No joke. Which is short for “Sibirskiy Sel’skokhozyaistvenniy Mashinazavod”, I think, or “Siberian Agricultural Machine Factory.” Such names aren’t that rare in Russia, so its like “Home Depot Arena,” but a lot worse. In the end we played badly and it ended in a tie, 3-3, although our team is pretty good, we’re in the same league as the Moscow teams, etc.
*Celebrating Thanksgiving at the coordinator’s apartment, eating marshmallows and sweet potato paste… in Russia!
*Asking for the brand of vegetable oil that host-grandma wants at the local market and the saleslady not understanding.
* The stupid lady in the coat check breaking my coat zipper, and now I have to button it up. Good thing this week has been freakishly warm. Goddamn coat lady.
So that was November. I have six more months left, and that’s starting to sink in, but I don’t regret staying another semester. Although I miss namely the people who read this blog.
PS. I thought I would have a little side note on music. I can’t find new music here, really, so I just put all the unlistened songs on my computer on shuffle, which is several hundred hours worth. It has been a pretty positive experience for me: there are more than a few brilliant songs that I just never listened to on my computer, and songs are sort of like friends. I mean, there was a time when you weren’t friends with X, your really good friend, and your life wasn’t empty before that, but its even better now that you know him. So the song “Ready For The Floor,” by Hot Chip, or St. Christopher’s “All Of A Tremble” was there before, but I hadn’t listened to them before I came to Russia, so I didn’t know that they are immaculate. And just like it is odd but altogether nice to meet up with Y, your best friend from seventh grade, when a song that used to hit me hard comes up on shuffle, I can remember why I used to like it so much. I hope that made sense.

Now I have to buy a new coat because it is really cold outside. Like face-sucking cold. And not in the sense of kissing, but as in the air is trying to suck the life out of you. Something about low pressure systems, I think.

6 comments:

Amy Gibson said...

dear david parker,
i found the qinghai (my province) library a few days ago, and after asking around for english language books, i was led to a room 40% full of russian language books and some english medical manuals from the 1980's. also there was a book about dinosaurs. i thought of you, and realized that we are very much closer than i had ever imagined.

when it is face sucking cold there (and i know what you mean. here it is also lung sucking dry) do they wear those little facemasks that make you nervous about sars epidemics? if they do not have them, i will mail you one.

take care,
amy g

SusannaMMMerrill said...

Wait until Baikal freezes-- then there will be more things to do in Listvianka. Do you all ever go to the banya there? There is one we really liked, in a wooden hotel up on the hill. You can buy beer and then hike up to the hotel and sit in a very sunny, warm room looking out on the lake until the banya is ready. And then run from the banya into the snow. And then in the spring there are very beautiful flowers in teh woods at Listvianka, and you can buy omul' and that bread whose name I never knew and big juice boxes and go sit in the woods with the pretty flowers and look at a very big lake. Oh, David Parker, why have you reminded me of my great love for Listvianka! It is a love that is fully aware that its object is not even that pretty or interesting, compared to other places on Baikal, but is unconditional all the same. Which of the several horrible cafes did you go to? Did they serve you disgusting, slimy, cold fish?
--Susanna
P.S. Was that weird Nerpa mascot that looks like a pill at the hockey game?
P.P.S. I am supposed to be writing my final papers, which may be why I am spending all this time writing you this long note about things you could figure out for yourself.

Leslie said...

News about things you may be missing in Alaska:
Hope was beset by bears who wouldn't go to bed and ate the apple trees. I think no one was hurt. They might close the school because they only have 7 students left.
We have good powdery snow but then it warmed up to 37 and it's all about avalanches.
Syd is doing DDF and is winning debates left and right. Tim and Bradley will be home for christmas, and will miss you.
It is no fun cooking for only one vegetarian at Thanksgiving. This year it was curried sweet potato pot pie. Una's comment was, "This tastes like what we eat at home!" Una (Phil Shanahan's husband, hmm, you may not know them) is India Indian and I asked her to bring a sweet potato dish and she had never cooked sweet potatos before, ever. Irony.
Bactrian camels are not like the camels in India apparently, which do not bite your face off (your face is repeatedly at risk over there apparently) but which do spit and sound like dinosaurs.
Hope my other blog comment got posted, but who knows, I'm practically eligible for disability when it comes to computer stuff.
love,
Leslie

Dan Langfitt said...

Again with the itemised comments:

1. Bond: I had heard that the Russian dubbing for the new Bond flick was particularly good. Why this subject came up in Paris I have no idea. But always nice to have your information confirmed.

2. Gays in Irkutsk: they exist?
I suppose this is not a subject I'm particularly attentive to, but still, kind of shocking.

3. Nerpa: ooooh ukh ty! so adorable.

4. Passports: I wouldn't have been too sure about the I-don't-need-my-passport-to-buy-a-television thing. Have you tried to go ice skating yet?

5. Marshmallows: figure out where Elisabeth got the marshmallows from. She conjured them last spring too and I still can't work out how.

6. Garderobe: was it the garderobe ladies at mezhfak? because I never liked them. it's almost worth being a rebel and just taking your coat with you into class. On a related note, I realise I should have just left you my warm winter coat... I can't imagine the circumstances under which I'd ever wear that thing again, and it would save you two or three thousand roubles. On the other hand, Susanna would say that the purchase of a coat at shankhai is an important experience and something that you can do for yourself and she would be right. Мудрая как и всегда.

Finally, I hope you are soon embarking on some awesome travels during the vacation. C новым годом!

Dan Langfitt said...

embarking? embarquing?

i am hopeless. i will be needing english-language tutoring in 2009.

but i congratulate myself on the discovery of как возможно писать здесь по кириллским буквам. Я такой умница!

rachael said...

i hardcore blogged about berlin, but i feel like not that many interesting things happened to me, and when they did i knew my mom would be reading and i didn't want to freak her out.

anyway most of my blog posts were about how long i had been there or how long i had left, and then my feelings all of which is boring. i think irkutsk is a lot more interesting.

maybe the us fulbright program will ship me out there one day! but probs not. also i am once again home, which means i am once again listening to your mixtape pretty much every day or every other day. if i could, i would send you a mixtape to siberia but i will wait until we meet again.